Growing up, scalloped potatoes was the go-to meal when we wanted something quick, affordable and easy. Despite how easy the recipe though, I still found my grown up self calling Momma for the low down on how to make it. She sort of chuckled at me because she’s been making it for years, and has given me the recipe probably a dozen times. And yet, whenever I make it, I seem to alter it enough that it never tastes quite like Momma’s.
What a better way to celebrate Mother’s Day, than with one of her favorite recipes? I suppose it’s the best way I can feel close to her, even if we are 500+ miles apart 🙂 I will be real with y’all when I say that Momma never put cheese on her scalloped potatoes. Remember that part where I said I always seem to alter the recipe? I mean really…I can’t say no to cheese. So there it is.
- 4-6 large Russet potatoes (Depends on casserole dish size)
- 2 cups diced or pieced cooked ham
- 2 cups flour
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 6tbsp butter, diced into small strips
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Salt (as needed for each layer)
- Seasoning Salts, such as garlic or onion powders
- Parsley flakes for garnish
- Prepare potatoes by thinly slicing them. The thicker the slice, the longer the cook time. Dice ham and butter into small chunks.
- Preheat the oven to 375° F. Lightly coat a baking dish with cooking oil and dust lightly with a layer of flour.
- Place one layer of sliced potatoes in the baking dish, covering the bottom. Add a layer of ham chunks sprinkled generously over the potatoes. Layer sporadically with 2tbsp of butter chunks and sprinkle a layer of salt & flour.
- Repeat the layers until baking dish is full and pour milk over the top of the mixture. Be sure to pour evenly around the mixture.
- Sprinkle 1 cup of the shredded cheese over the top of the layers, and reserve the remaining cup for later.
- Cover baking dish with foil and bake for 40 minutes.
- At 40 minutes of bake time, remove dish from the oven and discard the foil cover. Stir the potatoes until well mixed and place back into oven for an additional 15 minutes.
- At 55 minutes of bake time, remove dish from oven and sprinkle remaining cup of shredded cheese on top of the mixture. Set the oven to broil for approximately 5 minutes. Broil time can be increased to allow for increased browning of potatoes and cheese.
- Remove dish from oven and let cool for 5-10 minutes. Top with parsley and serve hot!