Grocery shopping means new tasty treats! Here is some eye candy from an original recipe I used last night:
- 1/4 cup mushrooms, sliced
- 1/4 cup red pepper, chopped thinly
- 1/2 cup baby spinach, shredded
- 1/2 cup grape seed oil (I used Wildtree’s butter flavor, but you may substitute with olive oil)
- 1/4 cup fat free feta cheese
- 1/4 cup roma tomatoes, sliced thinly and quartered
- 1 chicken breast, cooked and pan-fried separately
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tbsp Wildtree Adoboe blend (Garlic allspice for substitute)
- Italian seasonings, salt & pepper to taste
- 1 loaf french baguette
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup tzatziki (optional)
Combine mushrooms, red pepper, baby spinach, fat free feta, roma tomatoes, garlic, italian seasonings and salt & pepper (to taste). Toss and coat vegetable mixture with half of the grape seed oil and set mixture aside to marinate for about 15-20 minutes. While vegetable mixture marinates, heat butter in frying pan until lightly melted. Cook chicken in butter, shifting and turning often over medium-high heat for 10 minutes.Reduce heat to low-medium, add water and cover for 10 minutes. Shift and turn often, cooking until chicken is no longer pink at the center. Remove chicken from heat and cut into 1/4 inch cubes, or shred as desired.
Set oven to broil (I used the high setting). Cut the french baguette vertically and split into desired slices. Lightly brush the remaining grape seed oil over the surface of the bread, using just enough for browning. Place bread slices with the oiled surface facing up on a baking pan, and heat in oven under broil setting until lightly browned and crispy (~3-5 minutes).
Remove bread from oven and layer first with marinated vegetable mixture, then with chopped chicken. Top with mozzarella cheese and heat in oven on broil setting until cheese is lightly browned and melted over the mixture (~3-5 minutes). Watch closely during this time, as to not over heat or burn the mixture.
Remove bruschetta from the oven and let cool for 5 minutes. Serve with tzatziki for topping or dipping and enjoy!!